Figures out for 2016 show that Sport tourism accounted for 175,000 visitors to the island last year, around 7.5 of the total. The island has for some years had the aim of becoming “The European Sports Destination" and this promotional effort is bearing fruit.
In terms of nationalities, the largest group (32.7%) was from the UK, followed by Germany (13.5%) and France (11.3%.)
Other interesting statistics from the report:
- 54% of sports tourists are men
- Their average age is 48 years
- Their average total spend per day is significantly higher than the average at €144.16
- Their average stay is 9 days
- They are most likely to favour self catering accommodation and least likely to stay all inclusive
- 84% of those surveyed rated their trip to Lanzarote as either “good" or “very good"
- Unsurprisingly, they rated the sports facilities here as the reason for choosing to come to the island
It’s a significant and growing market for the future of Lanzarote.